People think of shoes when they think about footwear. But socks are an important part of the footwear. Often, not much thought is given to choosing the right socks. Socks might be even more important than shoes because they are the skin layer that rubs against your skin.
Although it may seem simple to choose the right pair of socks and shoes, it can be difficult. You can choose from a simple pair of flip-flops, or you can go all out and buy waterproof socks that are made for specific purposes. Depending on the situation, multiple layers of socks may be necessary.
Waterproof socks can be used when there is frequent exposure to water, cold, or humid conditions. If hiking involves crossing rivers or wetlands in cold weather, waterproof socks are the best choice. Waterproof socks are not necessary in most cases, provided you have the right gear.
Wool socks and waterproof shoes are both equally good for hiking on wet terrain. Because waterproof boots will keep water from reaching wool socks, this is why you should choose waterproof boots. Booties are also better than waterproof socks if you surf in cold waters.
There are many shoe/sock combinations that can be used for every situation. It all boils down to the individual’s preference for shoe/sock combinations for different activities. Knowing your options is the best way for you to choose the right combination.
You should have a pair of waterproof socks in your wardrobe. These socks are more affordable than waterproof footwear and can protect your feet from the weather. They also have multiple uses.
Waterproof Socks: What Material Do They Use?
There are generally three elements that go into waterproof socks. The waterproof membrane, an exterior knit sock, and interior knit socks are the three main elements. To prevent water from getting into the waterproof membrane, both the outer and inner knit layers of waterproof socks must be thick. Waterproof socks are typically thicker than regular wool socks.
There are two main types of waterproof socks :
- Waterproof socks: These waterproof socks can be worn over regular socks. When it is absolutely necessary for regular socks to remain dry, such as in cold or rainy weather, waterproof over-socks can be preferred.
- Regular waterproof socks can be worn in place of regular socks: These socks don’t require that you wear regular socks underneath. These socks have a thicker, waterproof membrane and a thinner inner. These socks are used to keep the feet warm when paddling in cold conditions, such as surfing or fishing. They don’t stop excessive sweating, which can be a problem.
Waterproof socks can be further classified into these types depending on how they perform in changing environments:
- Toe socks: These waterproof toe socks were designed for running and hiking. Because they allow for free movement of your ankles,
- Fleece socks: These socks can be worn under regular shoes or sandals and are a warm, waterproof option for toe socks. These socks can be worn as house slippers. These waterproof socks have a fleece inside and moisture-wicking properties. They are therefore suitable for summer when your feet sweat more.
- Heated socks: These heated waterproof socks are powered by a low-power battery that provides shock-proof heat to your feet. These socks are great for cold-weather activities like fishing or other water sports.
What Are The Advantages Of Waterproof Socks?
Waterproof socks are great for hiking, trail running, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities. Waterproof socks can be used for any outdoor activity that involves feet being exposed to water. We have listed some of the general advantages that waterproof socks offer over regular socks below.
Waterproof socks offer a number of benefits over regular wool socks, including practicality. Waterproof socks are extremely practical and durable. They not only provide water protection but also offer comfort for your feet so that you can continue your activities in wet weather.
There are many different activities you can do with them as well. A pair of waterproof socks can keep your feet dry whether you are running or walking in the rain on the way to work.
2. Protection from the elements
Your feet will also be protected from getting soaked with waterproof socks. Wearing waterproof socks will prevent you from getting wet by rain or snow.
They also keep your feet warm during cold weather. Cold, wet feet can cause many health problems.
Waterproof socks can be a game-changer in protecting your feet.
3. Multiple uses
As a result of their unique structure, waterproof socks may seem restricted to certain activities. They can be substituted for regular socks. In addition to walking to work or hiking, hunting, fishing, biking, and even playing sports like basketball and soccer, it can be used in many different situations. You can use waterproof socks in virtually any activity.
How Can You Make Waterproof Socks Last Longer?
Waterproof socks are definitely more expensive than regular wool socks. These socks are more expensive because of the technicalities involved in their manufacture. To make sure they last longer, you will need to care for them properly.
These are some tips to take care of your waterproof socks
1. After each use, wash your waterproof socks. There is a possibility of dirt and road grime damaging the inner waterproof membrane. Waterproof socks may only be water-resistant to a certain extent if the waterproof membrane is damaged.
It is best to machine wash waterproof socks in a gentle cycle. Keep in mind that regular detergents, bleach, fabric softeners, and other detergents can leave a residue on your inner membrane, which can further damage it. Use detergents specifically made for waterproof fabrics. These detergents are safe to wash waterproof shoes because they don’t leave any residue.
2. Avoid excessive heat exposure. Heat can cause damage to your pair by deteriorating both the waterproof membrane as well as the fabric of the interior/exterior layers.
3. Take good care when storing waterproof socks. Hanging them upside down or flat is the best way to store them. Folding them between layers of clothing can permanently damage them.
4. Your waterproof socks deserve your love. It is recommended to wear indoor shoes or slippers when using waterproof socks. Because direct friction with the floor, whether from running or walking, can cause damage to the waterproof membrane and then abrasion.
5. Immediately and properly treating stains is essential. You should not use regular detergents or fabric conditioners to treat a stain that has developed on waterproof socks. Only specially designed detergents should be used to wash waterproof fabrics. For cleaning purposes, you should avoid bleach and harsh chemicals like bleach.
Make sure that your under-socks are dry and clean to keep stains from getting into your waterproof socks. This will prevent color stains from forming. To prevent dye/color deposition, don’t treat waterproof socks with regular socks.
6. Get your DWR pumped up. DWR stands to represent ‘Durable Water Resistant. DWR is responsible for removing water. The DWR will fade over time due to regular washing and constant use. You can use a DWR spray to treat waterproof fabrics. Nikwax TC Direct spray is a good candidate for treatment.
Although waterproof socks might not be your first choice for everyday footwear, they are an excellent option to have in your closet, especially if your outdoor activities involve wet conditions. When you are shopping for footwear for outdoor activities, make sure to check if waterproof socks are right for you.
Q1. Should I wear socks while riding on mountain bikes?
Yes, You should wear socks while riding on mountain bikes. Because when you ride on your good mountain bikes it all comes down to protecting your legs. It can be from bushes or nettles, as well as branches and ticks. However, it makes it less painful to slip off your pedal. You can prevent sweat from running down your legs from reaching your feet and ankles, and keep pebbles out of your socks by wearing long socks.
Q2. Can you wash waterproof socks?
All you have to do to wash waterproof socks is turn them inside-out and soak them in warm soapy. Waterproof socks can be washed in warm soapy water. They are not able to withstand the elements so it is difficult to wash them.
Q3. What are water socks good for?
Water socks can be worn with water shoes to prevent irritation and chafing when you are swimming, kayaking, or walking in deep water. They can be worn on hikes to protect your feet against the sand and debris that could enter your water shoes.
Also Read: 5 Fun Games For Your Next Road Trip